Submit your own letter today, it only takes a few minutes and it will help show the public are ready and willing to take action on climate change – and we need the government to act now.
To my granddaughters Esther and Naomi,
By the time you are old enough to vote, the 2030 deadline for international climate action will have passed, and I truly hope and pray that world governments - especially those of the richer sector - will have lived up to their promises to make a positive difference.
The problem is that at each year's COP meeting they make grandiose promises, but then they don’t deliver on them. There are some half-hearted measures, to be sure, but they are not far reaching enough; and there is still too much reliance on fossil fuel. Right now the future looks very bleak.
By the time you are 18 Esther - and that's just 12 years from now - I hope my concerns above will have proven unfounded and that governments will, at long last, have done something on a scale that really makes a difference for your future and the future of our world.
It will be a world where:
• riches are shared more equally across the nations;
• nations who have done the greatest damage have done the most to make amends;
• the threat of mass migration because of agricultural collapse has become a distant memory;
• the seasons are restored to their proper balance; and
• the threat of extinction to thousands of species of animals and plants has disappeared.
The Great Big Green Week is the UK’s biggest ever celebration of community action to tackle climate change. Find out how you can get involved.